Awards & Achievements
Villa Maria’s success began in the 1980’s and has continued to grow in the decades that have followed.
The winery has been so successful over these years that it now lays claim to the title of New Zealand’s most awarded winery, an honour which reflects Villa Maria’s uncompromising commitment and dedication to quality at all stages of the grape growing and winemaking process.
Villa Maria’s owner, George Fistonich, believes that the secret to the winery’s success does not lie in chasing awards but rather focusing on making superior quality wine that consumers can readily enjoy. Get this right and the awards naturally follow.
Highlights from Villa Maria’s achievements include:
- Named one of the World’s 50 Great Wine Producers by Wine Spectator Magazine (USA - 2004)
- Named in Drinks International Magazine's World's 50 Most Admired Brands (UK - 2012)
- New Zealand Winery of the Year - Wine Magazine (China - 2012)
- Joint Champion Wine Producer - Spiegelau International Wine Competition (NZ - 2012)
- New Zealand Wine Company of the Year - Winestate Wine of the Year Awards. The 2012 award marked the 12th time in 15 years (AUS)
- Record holder for the most Trophies awarded at the Air New Zealand Wine Awards: 60 Trophies in 25 years
- New World Winery of the Year - Wine Enthusiast Magazine (USA - 2007)
- New Zealand Wine Producer of the Year - International Wine & Spirit Competition (UK - 2009, 2007, 2006 & 2004)
- Owner George Fistonich, knighted by the New Zealand government for services to the wine industry
- George Fistonich inducted into the New Zealand Business Hall of Fame recognising his significant contribution to the economic and social development of New Zealand through enterprise (ceremony to be held July 2013)
- George Fistonich short listed as one of 50 prominent figures in the wine industry by Wine International Magazine (UK - 2005)
- George Fistonich named Ernst & Young 2005 Entrepreneur of the Year (NZ)
View our Recent Awards