A rich, textural, opulent wine with a creamy palate from spending extended time ageing 'sur lie' (on yeast lees).
- We only ship to New Zealand addresses from this online store. To find our wine near you please go to or our stockists page.
Vineyards and Winemaking
The fruit for this Platinum Selection Sur Lie Pinot Gris is grown in the cooler, windier Awatere valley, promoting slower ripening in the cooler autumn weather which helps concentrate Pinot Gris flavours and retain natural acidities. 64% of the fruit was harvested from our Seddon Vineyard on the southern side of the Awatere River, with the remaining 36% from our Taylor Pass Vineyard which is directly opposite on
the northern river bank.
A mixture of seasoned barriques and stainless steel fermenters were used with both textural yeast strains and native yeasts. After fermentation stopped naturally with some residual sweetness, the resulting wines were left on their yeast lees for 5 months to build palate weight and creamy textures in the wine.
92 points - Creamy, soft and gentle bouquet of Gris with aromas of fresh and poached pear, some apple and white peach. A touch of spice adds depth and complexity. There’s no mistaking the full, rich and spicy layers on the palate. Lush and just dry, warm and generous - dare I say it - quite Alsace like in flavour, richness and and texture. Lovely lengthy finish, persistent and flavoursome Drink now and through 2021.Cameron Douglas MS